perjantai 8. elokuuta 2008

Fundamentalisturin


The countdown to Iceland is about to begin.


To warm up the North Atlantic spirits, I went to see a play in Faroese yesterday at Tampere Theatre Summer festival. Tvazz theatre company played with great warmth Finnish Juha Jokela's play The Fundamentalist/Fundamentalisturin.


It was curious to listen to the dialogue of Markus and Heidi, the Lutheran priest and his former Bible student, in a language strange and yet remotely familiar. I could even understand some of it, based on my rusty memories of Danish. I would have enjoyed it more without the English and Finnish subtitles that were projected to the top of stage. I believe that the actors managed to maintain the intensity of the original Finnish dialogue, yet they localised it well to the island setting.


Tomorrow there'd be an Icelandic musical on media power at Komediateatteri, but the tickets are quite expensive.


I believe however that Reykjavik will offer similar treats as my experience with Tvazz last night. It's always good to travel somewhere slowly, with many stops on the way.